Thursday, December 25, 2014

"Impedance & Admittance"



AC steady-state analysis using phasors
allows us to express the relationship
between current and voltage using a
formula that looks likes Ohm’s law:
V = I Z
 Z is called impedance.

In the preceding section, we obtained the voltage-current relations for the three passive elements as,

V = RI, V = jωLI, V =I/jωC


These equations may be written in terms of the ratio of the phasor voltage to the phasor current as,

V/I = R,  V/I = jωL,  V/I = 1/jωC



From these three expressions, we obtain Ohm’s law in phasor form for any type of element as

Z = V/I    or   V = ZI



The impedance Z of a circuit is the ratio of the phasor voltage V to the phasor current I, measured in ohms.

The admittance Y is the reciprocal of impedance, 
measured in siemens (S).


The admittance Y of an element (or a circuit) is the ratio of the phasor current through it to the phasor voltage across it, or


Y   =   1/Z   =   I/V






Some Thoughts on Impedance
• Impedance depends on the frequency ω.
• Impedance is (often) a complex number.
• Impedance allows us to use the same
solution techniques for AC steady state as
we use for DC steady state.








No comments:

Post a Comment